Monday, June 8, 2015

Just Emin it.

OK, seeing what happens if I set 10 minutes aside at the start of my writing routine to blog to get thoughts flowing. From the looks of the post title, my thoughts may have congealed.

Last night we watched a BBC 4 show called What Do Artists Do All Day, or something like that. A kind of Day in the Life documentary about Tracey Emin.

Before I watched it I knew nothing about Emin. I think I was in a pub with her once. I was aware of her only as a controversial name at the time, my more arty pals were very excited though.

She was really inspiring in the way she approached her work, the art and the business side. She was confident, open, decisive, patient, hard-working. I liked how she talked about her painting and how it could have two conflicting thoughts on the same subject go into it, and another surface level where it's just a funny idea.

And her painting was really good.

Even on a TV screen you could get a feeling for the power of it.

I shouldn't be trying to get into art criticism. I don't have the vocabulary.  Or the critical faculties. Or...

I remember at one point, though,  being amazed by her life drawing -- a stroke of a brush and there was a back! It was just a line, but it was a clear, real, representation of a person's body. Maybe something you learn on day one of art school, or something you can just do naturally as an entry requirement, but I was unexpectedly taken aback by the possibility of it. On the paper, a man. It almost seemed animated.

But what I liked most was when she talked about the pressure of the practical business side of her job: getting exhibitions ready, meetings with accountants, job-type stuff. When that happens she tries to get into her studio early, so she can work on the art, the stuff she loves.

I get up early to write too. And while Emin's creating amazing painting exploring raw internal emotions, and leaving herself open to anyone to interpret and judge her very being, and I'm trying to come up with jokes about dishwashers, her dedication and creativity made me want to get up 10 minutes earlier. From me, there's not much higher praise...


No comments:

Post a Comment