Friday, June 19, 2015

Everyone's a critic...

Since I decided to start this intermittent blogging project (top tip -- put irregularity and unexplained absences into the name of what you're doing, and you can get away with anything) I've been conscious that I'm leaning towards writing about other people's creative output.


And not always positively.


It's something I've generally avoided the last couple of years, on the basis that I'm writing now, with material out there to be judged, and maybe it doesn't do to be casually slagging off others' hard work if I wouldn't like the same to happen to me. There seems to be union rules around this stuff, to a degree at least.

I should stand shoulder with EL James, Mrs Brown and her boys, and the guy from the Mall Cop movies. You might not like it, but come on, we're trying here.

The thing is, I like to be critical about things. It doesn't even mean I don't like them. Since I can't even remember when, I've had pals with whom I could pick apart the details of things I enjoyed. It reminds me of this exchange from Frasier:

Niles: It was an exquisite meal, marred only by the lack of even 
         one outstanding cognac on their carte d' vijastite.
 
Frasier: Yes, but think of it this way, Niles -- what is the one thing 
         better than an exquisite meal?  An exquisite meal with one 
         tiny flaw we can pick at all night.  

He hands Niles a brandy.
 
Niles: Ah... quite right.  To impossible standards. [They clink 
         glasses.]

For me I think it's a way of defining what I would do rather than what the person who's made something chose to do, and I don't think that's an unhealthy pastime, particularly if it makes me think about my own efforts a bit more carefully.

Also, I don't mind getting bad reviews. I don't like it, obviously, but I can live with it as a necessary part of the game. I read them. I can't not. Some I think 'fine, I'm glad you don't like my stuff wouldn't want to be a member of your club anyway' and blow a raspberry. Others, I think make valid points and I'll look at what I can do differently.

Whatever the case I usually just need to remind myself of any of a range of critically and commercially successful books or shows I thought were absolutely dreadful, and realise any one person's opinion only matters so much.

So, that means I'm going to go ahead and say things like Birdman was primarily successful because of a few camera tricks and Hollywood's narcissistic self-love/self-loathing, which enables its in-crowd to satirise the system it perpetuates while feeling clever about itself.

Also Pitch Perfect had nowhere near enough good jokes to justify the enthusiasm for a desperate plot and a few good dance numbers. And the good jokes it did have were mainly nicked from Best in Show.  

Phew. It does feel good to say what you think, even if you might be wrong...

Anyone else want to air any strongly held views they've been holding back? We're open to sharing here...

No comments:

Post a Comment